What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radio transceivers are off?

Andy Burnelli

Nov 24, 2022, 12:19:30 PM11/24/22
Happy Thanksgiving!

What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
(This is not a question of manual techniques.)

For a variety of logically prudent reasons it may be useful to
automatically turn some, each or all of our radios off, whether they are
a. gps
b. wi-fi
c. cellular
d. cellular data
e. nfc
f. bluetooth
g. mobile hotspot
h. nearby shares
etc. (any others?)

The reasons for shutoff could be any one or all of these defensible basics:
1. Battery drain
2. Data charges
3. Privacy protection
4. Compute resources
etc. (any others?)

What _automated_ apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure some, most, or
even all your radio transceivers are automatically turned off when unused?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to learn what everyone together has to offer all.

Alan

Nov 24, 2022, 12:24:18 PM11/24/22
On 2022-11-24 09:19, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
>        (This is not a question of manual techniques.)
>
> For a variety of logically prudent reasons it may be useful to
> automatically turn some, each or all of our radios off, whether they are
> a. gps
> b. wi-fi
> c. cellular d. cellular data
> e. nfc
> f. bluetooth
> g. mobile hotspot
> h. nearby shares
> etc. (any others?)
>
> The reasons for shutoff could be any one or all of these defensible basics:
> 1. Battery drain
> 2. Data charges
> 3. Privacy protection
> 4. Compute resources
> etc. (any others?)
>
> What _automated_ apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure some, most, or
> even all your radio transceivers are automatically turned off when unused?

Amazing just how ignorant you are, Arlen!

GPS never...

EVER

...transmits!

Ergo, it is NOT A TRANSCEIVER.

Next,

"c. cellular" and "d. cellular data" are ONE TRANSCEIVER.

"g. mobile hotspot" is not a transceiver. It is a system services that
makes USE of the WiFi transceiver; assuming that you're not using it via
USB (on an iPhone at least).

"h. nearby shares" aren't transceivers on your device.

nospam

Nov 24, 2022, 2:15:37 PM11/24/22
In article <tlo92v$1eem$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<sp...@nospam.com> wrote:

> What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
> (This is not a question of manual techniques.)

tin foil, aisle 8.

Martin Brown

Nov 24, 2022, 2:31:53 PM11/24/22
On 24/11/2022 20:15, nospam wrote:

>> What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
>> (This is not a question of manual techniques.)
>
> tin foil, aisle 8.

Do you ridicule foresight because you have infinite battery capacity and
unlimited data plans or because you don't know how to do what's asked?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

nospam

Nov 24, 2022, 2:37:29 PM11/24/22
In article <tlogr6$1h86$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
> >> (This is not a question of manual techniques.)
> >
> > tin foil, aisle 8.
>
> Do you ridicule foresight because you have infinite battery capacity and
> unlimited data plans or because you don't know how to do what's asked?

straw man.

i ridicule him because he is a paranoid crazy person.

it's very easy to turn off the radios of a cellular phone, however,
doing so will severely compromise its functionality.

Jolly Roger

Nov 24, 2022, 2:51:21 PM11/24/22
On 2022-11-24, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/11/2022 20:15, nospam wrote:
>
>>> What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
>>> (This is not a question of manual techniques.)
>>
>> tin foil, aisle 8.
>
> Do you ridicule foresight

Poor, little Andy (Arlen et al) had to create a brand-new nym just for
this post... Such "adult" behavior! Also, gotta love how his little
troll script mangled the new nym:

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk>

Everything Arlen touches is a work of "art"! ; )

JR

Martin Brown

Nov 24, 2022, 2:54:26 PM11/24/22
On 24/11/2022 20:37, nospam wrote:

> it's very easy to turn off the radios of a cellular phone, however,
> doing so will severely compromise its functionality.

You're the one saying tin foil is required to turn off a phone radio.
What kind of phone do you have that you can't control its radios anyway?
How do you automatically turn off those six main radios on _your_ phone?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

FromTheRafters

Nov 24, 2022, 2:58:37 PM11/24/22
Jolly Roger used his or her keyboard to write :

> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk>

He has been around forever on this newsgroup, unlike you who just showed up
and added nothing of anything other than you don't understand the topic.

Lars Anders

Nov 24, 2022, 3:39:48 PM11/24/22
On 24 Nov 2022, Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com> wrote :

> Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
> (This is not a question of manual techniques.)
>
> For a variety of logically prudent reasons it may be useful to
> automatically turn some, each or all of our radios off, whether they are
> a. gps
> b. wi-fi
> c. cellular
> d. cellular data
> e. nfc
> f. bluetooth
> g. mobile hotspot
> h. nearby shares
> etc. (any others?)
>
> The reasons for shutoff could be any one or all of these defensible basics:
> 1. Battery drain
> 2. Data charges
> 3. Privacy protection
> 4. Compute resources
> etc. (any others?)
>
> What _automated_ apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure some, most, or
> even all your radio transceivers are automatically turned off when unused?

the iphone probably can't do anything like it but people should be able to
find android hardware utilities to do what is asked with all kinds of user
preference switches based on time of day or inactivity period or whatever

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=auto%20turn%20off&c=apps

nospam

Nov 24, 2022, 3:45:45 PM11/24/22
In article <tloi5g$6gg$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > it's very easy to turn off the radios of a cellular phone, however,
> > doing so will severely compromise its functionality.
>
> You're the one saying tin foil is required to turn off a phone radio.

*whooooooooooossssshhhhhhhh*

nospam

Nov 24, 2022, 3:51:05 PM11/24/22
In article <tlokqh$1fmk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Lars Anders
<larsand...@glocalnet.se> wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2022, Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com> wrote :
> > What _automated_ apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure some, most, or
> > even all your radio transceivers are automatically turned off when unused?
>
> the iphone probably can't do anything like it

of course it can, however, turning off the radios of a mobile device
greatly reduces its functionality.

normal people want their phones to actually do stuff versus being a
non-functional brick in their pocket, with all modes of communication
having been disabled.

paranoid lunatics, on the other hand, likely have other ideas.

sms

Nov 24, 2022, 4:28:56 PM11/24/22
On 11/24/2022 12:39 PM, Lars Anders wrote:

<snip>

> the iphone probably can't do anything like it but people should be able to
> find android hardware utilities to do what is asked with all kinds of user
> preference switches based on time of day or inactivity period or whatever

On Android you can use Tasker but for many tasks it requires Root.
Unfortunately, Google seems to be explicitly targeting Tasker in Android
upgrades, to remove functionality.

There have been Jailbreak Tweaks, in the past, to turn off only specific
radios, but they are not automated in the sense that you could not
schedule when you want specific radios to be on or off. Not sure if they
still work with newer versions of iOS.

Of course you can do all of this manually, either go into Airplane Mode
then go back and turn on Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth, or navigate through
settings.

It might be nice to have a way to automatically turn off certain radios
at certain times, i.e. at night, rather than having to silence the phone
or manually go into airplane mode.

nospam

Nov 24, 2022, 4:44:15 PM11/24/22
In article <tlonmm$nrn1$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> There have been Jailbreak Tweaks,

once again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Your Name

Nov 24, 2022, 4:56:02 PM11/24/22
Can the those in the Android newsgroups please stop cross-posting their
know-nothing replies to the Phone newsgroup. We're not at all
interested in these garbage misinformation posts. :-\

Alan

Nov 24, 2022, 7:05:20 PM11/24/22
There aren't 6 radios, you simpleton.

Martin Brown

Nov 24, 2022, 11:50:04 PM11/24/22
On 24/11/2022 21:45, nospam wrote:

>> You're the one saying tin foil is required to turn off a phone radio.
>
> *whooooooooooossssshhhhhhhh*

Alan

Nov 24, 2022, 11:57:22 PM11/24/22
On 2022-11-24 20:50, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 24/11/2022 21:45, nospam wrote:
>
>>> You're the one saying tin foil is required to turn off a phone radio.
>>
>> *whooooooooooossssshhhhhhhh*
>
> How do you automatically turn off those six main radios on _your_ phone?

From "your" post:

zd23wYM4A+rKXhumVNqkNA.user.46.165.242.75

From "Andy Burnelli's" post:

CXxNcmbeA.user.46.165.242.75

Quite the coincidence, huh?

Jeff Liebermann

Nov 25, 2022, 12:54:57 AM11/25/22
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 17:19:39 +0000, Andy Burnelli <sp...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Happy Thanksgiving!

Bah Humbug.

>What [automated] apps (or techniques) do you use to ensure radios are off?
> (This is not a question of manual techniques.)

You're asking the wrong question. What you really need, before you
can turn off various communications devices in your smartphone, is a
means of verifying that they're actually turned off. Using apps and
settings on the phone are not sufficient because they often lie. For
example, turning on airplane mode probably does disable all the major
transmitters in the phone. The transmitters can easily be turned back
on in the settings app, but the phone will still indicate that it's in
airplane mode.

What you need is something like a spectrum analyzer that will show
everything from 13.56MHz (NFC) to the highest frequency in the 5G
cellular band, 39GHz.

13MHz to 1.7GHz can easily be done with a minimal RTL-SDR receiver.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=rtl-sdr+dongle&tbm=isch>
There are ready to use spectrum analyzers suitable for detecting if
your phone is transmitting. For example:
<https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832799164953.html>
Don't worry about lousy sensitivity. The spectrum analyzer will be
very close to your smartphone and should indicate if there's any RF
being belched by the phone.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=sdr+spectrum+analyzer&tbm=isch>
<https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/spectrum-analyzer-2/>
Unfortunately, there are some 4G frequencies between 1.7 and 2.2GHz
that the commodity spectrum analyzer can't see. Also, the various
microwave 5G frequencies are not covered. It's possible to build a
better SDR (software defined radio) spectrum analyzer that does it
all, but it will probably cost more than you want to spend.

Anyway, once you have a way to confirm that your phone is not belching
secret messages to the dark lords running the evil empire, you can ask
about and test automated apps that will insure your phone's silence.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Frank Slootweg

Nov 25, 2022, 1:17:33 PM11/25/22
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> tin foil, aisle 8.
> >
> > Do you ridicule foresight
>
> Poor, little Andy (Arlen et al) had to create a brand-new nym just for
> this post... Such "adult" behavior! Also, gotta love how his little
> troll script mangled the new nym:
>
> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk>

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this nym/address already exists
since at least August 8. (Can't be bothered to check before that.)

From that post, I very much doubt that this is 'Arlen'.

OTOH, when you're paranoid, ... :-)

Alan

Nov 25, 2022, 1:25:08 PM11/25/22
How about the fact that they've both posted from same IP?

Frank Slootweg

Nov 25, 2022, 1:25:45 PM11/25/22
Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:
[...]

> Can the those in the Android newsgroups please stop cross-posting their
> know-nothing replies to the Phone newsgroup. We're not at all
> interested in these garbage misinformation posts. :-\

FWIW, I don't particularly appreciate the trolling - for either 'side'
- either, but it seems to me you're in need of a better newsreader
or/and in some tips on how to use it to solve your 'problem'.

Jolly Roger

Nov 25, 2022, 6:57:46 PM11/25/22
On 2022-11-25, Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> > Do you ridicule foresight
>>
>> Poor, little Andy (Arlen et al) had to create a brand-new nym just
>> for this post... Such "adult" behavior! Also, gotta love how his
>> little troll script mangled the new nym:
>>
>> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk>
>
> Sorry to rain on your parade, but this nym/address already exists
> since at least August 8. (Can't be bothered to check before that.)

It's adorable that you think Arlen hasn't been on Usenet that long.

sms

Nov 25, 2022, 8:29:12 PM11/25/22
On 11/24/2022 8:50 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 24/11/2022 21:45, nospam wrote:
>
>>> You're the one saying tin foil is required to turn off a phone radio.
>>
>> *whooooooooooossssshhhhhhhh*
>
> How do you automatically turn off those six main radios on _your_ phone?

Really only four now:
• Cellular Data (it's all data now, for the most part, at least in most
developed countries)
• Wi-Fi
• Bluetooth
• GPS (receiver only)

For GPS you can't really turn it off. On Android you can spoof your GPS
location if you don't want your location to be tracked.

I read one thread on Reddit where someone tried to automate turning off
the radios using Tasker but was unable to accomplish this on an unrooted
device.

mike

Nov 25, 2022, 9:34:10 PM11/25/22
On 26-11-2022 06:59 sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Really only four now:

What about nfc?
Does nfc no longer exist?

> Cellular Data (it's all data now, for the most part, at least in most
> developed countries)
> Wi-Fi
> Bluetooth
> GPS (receiver only)

Can't you manually turn each of those radios off and keep them off
until you want to manually turn them back on?

> For GPS you can't really turn it off. On Android you can spoof your GPS
> location if you don't want your location to be tracked.

Are you sure GPS doesn't turn off when you press the on/off slider?

If you can manually do it, you should be able to automatically do it
without needing tasker just to turn a Android setting to the off slide.

nospam

Nov 25, 2022, 9:34:52 PM11/25/22
In article <tlrq54$155es$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > How do you automatically turn off those six main radios on _your_ phone?
>
> Really only four now:

really not.

> € Cellular Data (it's all data now, for the most part, at least in most
> developed countries)

multiple variants (gsm/cdma/hspa/lte/5g), some of which can be enabled
or disabled separately.

> € Wi-Fi

2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

> € Bluetooth

classic and le.

> € GPS (receiver only)

multiple variants (glonass, qzss, etc.)

also:

€ nfc
€ uwb

> For GPS you can't really turn it off.

of course it can.

in fact, the gps is normally off, enabled via an app only when precise
location is needed.

> On Android you can spoof your GPS
> location if you don't want your location to be tracked.

blocking tracking on ios can be done in a variety of ways, including
spoofing location. your lack of knowledge does not mean it's
impossible.

> I read one thread on Reddit where someone tried to automate turning off
> the radios using Tasker but was unable to accomplish this on an unrooted
> device.

that's easy to do on ios.

nospam

Nov 25, 2022, 9:36:40 PM11/25/22
In article <tlrtv0$aq1n$1...@solani.org>, mike <th...@address.is.invalid>
wrote:

> What about nfc?
> Does nfc no longer exist?

it does.

> Can't you manually turn each of those radios off and keep them off
> until you want to manually turn them back on?

yes.

> Are you sure GPS doesn't turn off when you press the on/off slider?

it's under app control.

Anonymous

Nov 25, 2022, 9:53:38 PM11/25/22
They're both using the same news server, aioe.org.

Ilya Kraskov

Nov 25, 2022, 9:59:20 PM11/25/22
On 26.11.2022 05:34, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> in fact, the gps is normally off, enabled via an app only when precise
> location is needed.

You have to be careful with the word "precise" because at least on Android
it means different things to different applications.

For some it means what you seemed to have meant which is satellite location
but for other apps (often google's apps) it means a lot more radios go on.

Still, all of them should have manual switches to turn them off.

If there is a manual switch in the operating system settings, why can't an
app press that slider based on automatic conditions (like disconnection of
a wifi access point connection)?

Some of these intelligent disconnections based on current conditions are
probably already coded into the operating system setup, aren't they?
--
Doveryay, no proveryay.

Bugsy

Nov 25, 2022, 10:05:26 PM11/25/22
Anonymous <an...@anon.net> wrote:

> They're both using the same news server, aioe.org.

Anonymous is correct. All aioe headers have the same ip address.
It's how it works.

I didn't see who but someone is thinking they understand the aioe headers.
When they don't understand anything about them.

Worse is they accost people based on their own misguided misunderstandings.
People like that shouldn't make accusations based on their misinformation.

--
Please wear your mask!
Bugs are everywhere. :)

nospam

Nov 25, 2022, 10:09:48 PM11/25/22
In article <tlrve7$3k63h$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Ilya Kraskov
<Ilyanospam1...@gomail.com.ua> wrote:

> > in fact, the gps is normally off, enabled via an app only when precise
> > location is needed.
>

> You have to be careful with the word "precise" because at least on Android
> it means different things to different applications.
>
> For some it means what you seemed to have meant which is satellite location
> but for other apps (often google's apps) it means a lot more radios go on.

apps can request different levels of location precision. some apps only
need a general area (e.g., weather), whereas others need exact location
(e.g., navigation, finding lost items, etc.).

> Still, all of them should have manual switches to turn them off.

there is no need for that.

sms

Nov 25, 2022, 10:10:42 PM11/25/22
On 11/25/2022 6:34 PM, mike wrote:
> On 26-11-2022 06:59 sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Really only four now:
>
> What about nfc?
> Does nfc no longer exist?

Oops me bad! Yep five.

Ilya Kraskov

Nov 25, 2022, 10:22:16 PM11/25/22
On 25.11.2022 21:09, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> whereas others need exact location
> (e.g., navigation, finding lost items, etc.).

You need to quantify what /you/ mean by exact, and whether the application
means the same thing, since navigation works fine with just satellite.

To say otherwise would mean you don't understand how navigation works.

>> Still, all of them should have manual switches to turn them off.
>
> there is no need for that.

Of course there is. To say otherwise is not reasonable.

Battery drain & data costs may not be important to you but you're not
everyone. When they make a phone, you're not the only one using it.

If the phone maker wanted the receivers on all the time they wouldn't be
giving you the many switches that exist to manually turn them off.

--
Doveryay, no proveryay.

nospam

Nov 25, 2022, 10:31:37 PM11/25/22
In article <tls0p7$3kcrh$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Ilya Kraskov
<Ilyanospam1...@gomail.com.ua> wrote:

> > whereas others need exact location
> > (e.g., navigation, finding lost items, etc.).
>
> You need to quantify what /you/ mean by exact, and whether the application
> means the same thing, since navigation works fine with just satellite.
>
> To say otherwise would mean you don't understand how navigation works.

more than you ever will, arlen.

David Oseas

Nov 26, 2022, 2:09:08 PM11/26/22
On 11/25/2022 7:05 PM, Bugsy wrote:
> Anonymous <an...@anon.net> wrote:
>
>> They're both using the same news server, aioe.org.
>
> Anonymous is correct. All aioe headers have the same ip address.
> It's how it works.

All they had to do was take one second to do an nslookup (however, they
are either ignorant or too stuck on their conspiracy theory to bother...):

nslookup 46.165.242.75
Name: aioe.org
Address: 46.165.242.75

Frank Slootweg

Nov 26, 2022, 3:00:31 PM11/26/22
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2022-11-25, Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> > Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> Poor, little Andy (Arlen et al) had to create a brand-new nym just
> >> for this post... Such "adult" behavior! Also, gotta love how his
> >> little troll script mangled the new nym:
> >>
> >> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk>
> >
> > Sorry to rain on your parade, but this nym/address already exists
> > since at least August 8. (Can't be bothered to check before that.)
>
> It's adorable that you think Arlen hasn't been on Usenet that long.

Incorrect conclusion. I can't be bothered to check *that* nym/address
before that date and I can't be bothered to explain to you why I can't
be bothered.

Jolly Roger

Nov 26, 2022, 3:41:56 PM11/26/22
Fine with me. I don't care either way. If I happen to lump one worthless
troll in with another worthless troll, no skin off my back. Looks like
we're both going to end this discussion happily despite your beef with
me. Happy Holidays. : )

Frank Slootweg

Nov 26, 2022, 3:47:55 PM11/26/22
Beef? If you thought this was a beef, you have seen nothing yet! :-)

Happy Holidays to you too.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 26, 2022, 3:56:06 PM11/26/22
I am curious, so...

Martin goes back to November 2016 in this Android group. My folder goes
back to June that year.

He may have posted earlier on other .uk groups which I don't have
subscribed, but it would be easy enough to check.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

nospam

Nov 26, 2022, 4:00:07 PM11/26/22
In article <g0ba5j-...@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> It's adorable that you think Arlen hasn't been on Usenet that long.
> >
> > Incorrect conclusion. I can't be bothered to check *that* nym/address
> > before that date and I can't be bothered to explain to you why I can't
> > be bothered.
>
> I am curious, so...
>
> Martin goes back to November 2016 in this Android group. My folder goes
> back to June that year.

'arlen' has been forging regulars, especially in groups they don't
normally post.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 26, 2022, 4:16:08 PM11/26/22
True, but not everybody is Arlen. I compared the headers of Martin on
2016 and now, and they match. I also compared the headers with those of
Arlen, and there are some interesting differences.

Then there is the language, it is different.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Frank Slootweg

Nov 27, 2022, 11:49:47 AM11/27/22
Exactly! that's why I said:

<me>

From that post, I very much doubt that this is 'Arlen'.

</me>

But that was conveniently ignored, because it doesn't fit some
people's agenda's. Never mind the bogus "especially in groups they don't
normally post" argument.

nospam

Nov 27, 2022, 2:12:30 PM11/27/22
In article <tm07vd...@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> But that was conveniently ignored, because it doesn't fit some
> people's agenda's. Never mind the bogus "especially in groups they don't
> normally post" argument.

there's nothing bogus about it. 'arlen' has done exactly that and
continues to do that.

Frank Slootweg

Nov 27, 2022, 3:15:09 PM11/27/22
Sigh! Martin posted in comp.mobile.android, so if 'Arlen' would have
forged him, he would have been doing that in the *same* group, so bogus
argument.

nospam

Nov 27, 2022, 3:51:24 PM11/27/22
In article <tm0k0e...@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> > > But that was conveniently ignored, because it doesn't fit some
> > > people's agenda's. Never mind the bogus "especially in groups they don't
> > > normally post" argument.
> >
> > there's nothing bogus about it. 'arlen' has done exactly that and
> > continues to do that.
>
> Sigh! Martin posted in comp.mobile.android, so if 'Arlen' would have
> forged him, he would have been doing that in the *same* group, so bogus
> argument.

i wasn't referring to anyone in particular nor did i say he does it all
the time. it's just another one among many of his tells.

Freethinker

Dec 1, 2022, 7:35:23 PM12/1/22
On 24.11.22 22:39, Lars Anders wrote:
> people should be able to
> find android hardware utilities to do what is asked with all kinds of user
> preference switches based on time of day or inactivity period or whatever

I found this by searching which says it can be done but that's old,
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/39916/is-there-a-way-to-automatically-turn-off-wifi

On my recent model phone is a setting called "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically"
which is off by default.

It's in Settings, Connections, Wi-Fi, top right Advanced, Intelligent
Wi-Fi, and then Turn on Wi-Fi automatically

Below that there is also an option to look at your "Wi-Fi control history"
which says "View apps that have turned Wi-Fi on or off recently" so it sure
looks like apps can turn on wifi automatically and then shut them off.

knuttle

Dec 1, 2022, 8:49:36 PM12/1/22
I don't see the trolls but on the topic I could use an app that
automatically turns off the power to the wifi of the phone whenever the
access point is disconnected for a period of minutes (maybe 10 minutes).

Alan

Dec 1, 2022, 9:09:35 PM12/1/22
How would it ever then come back on?

I don't know about you, but I want my phone to automatically connect to
WiFi wherever I go.

nospam

Dec 1, 2022, 9:39:18 PM12/1/22
In article <tmblje$2tjh2$1...@dont-email.me>, knuttle
<keith_...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 11/25/2022 1:25 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> >> Can the those in the Android newsgroups please stop cross-posting their
> >> know-nothing replies to the Phone newsgroup. We're not at all
> >> interested in these garbage misinformation posts. :-\

your scripts are broken. frank didn't say that.

> > FWIW, I don't particularly appreciate the trolling - for either 'side'
> > - either, but it seems to me you're in need of a better newsreader
> > or/and in some tips on how to use it to solve your 'problem'.
>
> I don't see the trolls

try a mirror.

> but on the topic I could use an app that
> automatically turns off the power to the wifi of the phone whenever the
> access point is disconnected for a period of minutes (maybe 10 minutes).

that type of functionality is built into ios and does not need an app.